Thursday, February 11, 2010

When sponge painting walls, is adding glaze to the paint necessary?

Also, the base color of the wall is a sand (like the beach) color? I was thinking of sponging a green or brown over it. What other colors do you think might look good. ThanksWhen sponge painting walls, is adding glaze to the paint necessary?
It depends on the effect you want. It's not necessary if you want a clear contrast. When you add glaze you get a more subtle shading effect and the edges blend into each other more. It's a matter of taste. And I think either of those colors sound nice depending on the shades of green and brown. For green I'm thinking something celery-ish, on the paler side. Some shades in the peach family would look nice too I think.When sponge painting walls, is adding glaze to the paint necessary?
A few years ago I I painted my kitchen yellow and sponge painted blue over it.


I did not use glaze and the walls turned out just find.


Just recently sponged some white over the walls so now I have yellow, blue and white and like it very much.


The nice thing about not using glaze is you have a flat finish and not a shiny one with the glaze.
I think a mint green colour paint would look good sponged over your sand coloured wall.





One thing to think about is, that in a couple of years you might want to change the colour of your walls and go back to a smooth finish again. The problem is it's a real pain in the neck sand the walls smooth again.





I'm speaking from my own bad experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment