Thursday, February 18, 2010

Do I need to use prime on concrete before I paint it with texture paint? should I use a sponge or spray ?

The ceilings in My new appartment is concrete and not painted. to hide the concrete that has minimal defects I am going to use the texture paint (popcorn). Can you please tell me if I need to place a prime before I paint it with the texture paint and I need to know if I should use a spray machine or sponge to paint? THANKS A LOT.Do I need to use prime on concrete before I paint it with texture paint? should I use a sponge or spray ?
Most ceiling textures on the market can go direct to concrete. However, if the concrete has a high pH level, standard texture products will not tolerate a high pH. To be on the safe side, I would recommend using an interior masonry primer first. I know Sherwin-Williams does sell one called PrepRite interior Masonry Primer. This product will tolerate a higher pH, and will also ensure a more uniform finish.





As far as application, spraying the texture is the best way to apply. There are rollable products on the market, but they are very difficult to apply if you have never used them before. Most ceiling textures can be sprayed using a compressor and hopper setup. Check with your local home center for rental info.





Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment