Thursday, February 18, 2010

How do you paint walls? With sponge or rag?

a roller %26amp; a brush. unless I'm doing a faux finish - then I might use a sponge or rag.How do you paint walls? With sponge or rag?
You can use either for a faux effect, depending on what you're trying to achieve. You still need to put on a base coat of whatever you want to faux on top of (or at least a primer). Check out stores like Michaels, Home Depot for classes too.How do you paint walls? With sponge or rag?
Why don't you want to use a roller or paint brush?
There are no limits to the ways you can paint. Roller, brush, sponge, rag, plastic bag......all that will change is the intensity, coverage and texture of the color.
I did a faux finish in my living room. With rollers, I just painted a base coat, then I bought some textured sponges and did a lighter shade on the top. It turned out pretty great. FYI- If your going to buy those textured sponges to use on your wall, remember you can also buy a car chamois that is shaped the same way- they're cheaper and work the same. Good luck!
There's no limit to what you can do or use. I tried several different techniques (sponges, rags, saran wrap) until I found the look I liked. Now I experiment on heavy poster board first to see if I like the way it looks. Any book store will have books on faux painting, also ';Better Homes and Garden'; magazine puts out a specialty on ';Windows and Walls';. They should get your creative juices going. Have fun.
There is so many effects. You can check out some books and see which one you like best. I like the stippling which looks like Swede leather.

No comments:

Post a Comment