Thursday, February 11, 2010

Any experienced tips and advice on sponge painting.? Please?

I tried using a sponge roller. It didn't come out right. I am going to use the sponges now. Any tips or no-no's or help is appreciated. Are there any issues that might come up? its a very large room and the base coat has already been applied. I want to be done in 6 weeks, cause I'm due in 8 weeks. The only time I have to work on it, is when my son takes his nap.Any experienced tips and advice on sponge painting.? Please?
Sea sponges work best if it is texture that you are looking for. You can use regular celluose sponges but to get more interest, dig out some holes that are larger than the ones that come naturally on the sponge. If you use rectangular kitchen sponges, you have to change the direction of the sponge with each dab to the wall or else you will get a ';brick'; effect.





The hardest places to sponge are the corners where walls meet and where the ceiling meets the walls. Often, I see a band in those areas where the sponging stops. That is where I do take a regular celluose kitchen sponge, cut it in half, dig out a bunch of holes and use that to carefully get the edges.





The biggest hint is that you need to wash out the sponge often. If you are using more than one color, use separate sponges. Work in small areas, I like 3 x 3 foot areas, step back from your work often to see whether you are starting to get a pattern or if there are areas that require more paint. I like random patterns, so I turn the sponge often so that I do not start to have repeated patterns. If I don't like the results, I keep the basecoat on hand to erase my work.





I also like to make my latex or acrylic paint into glazes for a more transperent look to see the base coat through the sponged on paints. It also gives you more open time to manipulate the paint. I make my glazes with 1 part water, 1 part paint and 1 part Floetrol (a paint additive you can find in the home improvement stores) well blended. You can adjust the formula depending on how saturated you want the color. Making your own glazes is much cheaper that buying them already prepared and it allows you to have a wider selection of colors because you can use acyrlics. I generally use a 3 color sponge over the base for depth, texture and interest. I use paper plates as my sponge palettes and mix my glazes in old plastic dairy containers to pour little amounts at a time on to my palettes. You can use the lids to the dairy containers to seal off the container and save the paint for another day if you don't get the entire paint in that container used in one fell swoop. (You can also store it in the freezer, too, unthaw and it will be ready to use.)Any experienced tips and advice on sponge painting.? Please?
r u sponging ON or OFF? I like sponging on better. I do this PT so i would say.. work in 2-3' area...use glaze... 3 part glaze to 1 part paint. U have to use glaze w/ it 2 get that transparent effect from different degrees of color. U r gonna use sponges? Then get largest sea sponges ( they can b costly) %26amp; several to chg them out. OR u can use rags or plastic bags. I always have a 2 buckets of water available. 1 for my sponges clean then dirt. Same w/ rags. If u don't like u'r hands a mess... use rubber gloves.





U dip the sponge/rag in the paint glaze.. rub off or blot off on towel or edge of container.. then dab..dab...dab on wall %26amp; move the sponge/rag around %26amp; around in u'r hand for different effects. Don't b afraid to go over what u have done as well.. IF the paint comes out 2 lt.. don't worry.. when it starts to dry jst take the sponge %26amp; go over areas that r 2 lt.





U can try practicing on newpaper.. boards..foam boards.. paper b/4 doing it on the wall. %26amp; keep in mind that they will react differently than u'r walls but at least u would get the jest of how it's done.





Have FUN.. u can e-mail if u have any more ?'s
Hey there,


If you haven't started, go to YouTube and do a search on faux painting or faux painting sponging and you can find some videos on it. Or just click on the link

No comments:

Post a Comment