Thursday, February 18, 2010

Should I try sponging to change the paint in my kitchen?

I painted my kitchen last year and I'm growing tired of the color now. You can consider it either a light gold or light mustard-yellow. My kitchen isn't big at all so instead of painting the whole thing over, I thought I'de try a fun technique such as rag-rolling or sponging. Any tips on how to do this? Which colors should I go with? I'm assuming it would have to be colors in the yellow family - how many different shades should I use?Should I try sponging to change the paint in my kitchen?
I've done sponging many times. I actually prefer doing the feathering with a brush instead. You can buy products that are meant for just that purpose. They have the clear gloss in them so they are more translucent. You can make your own too. I suggest you go back to the paint shop. Tell them what you want to do, the colour you have, and they can guide you as to what colours and products will work best and show you samples as well.





Work in small patches when you start too because the paint will thicken and dry up, so no more than 2 foot by 2 foot areas at a time.





Home Depot actually has courses that are free on the weekends you can attend and even practice these things.Should I try sponging to change the paint in my kitchen?
I've seen sponging done and I'm not the biggest fan of it. It has to be done pretty well and with just the right colors to look well. And up close it doesn't look that good. Sponging looks better when looked at from a distance. Also it's not the quickest to do. It would probably be faster and look better if you just repainted it a solid color. You're already sick of the yellow and the yellow color will still somewhat be there, so it probably won't be long before you get tired of the sponged look that still has that yellow color in it that you are already sick of.





If you still decide that you want to do sponging. I recommend that you practice on a piece of cardboard first and only buy a small amount of paint, just enough to practice, instead of enough to do the whole room. Paint the cardboard the same color as your room. Then try sponging the cardboard (about a 12';x12'; piece or larger will do) and see if you like the look. Then get some painter's tape and put a ring of painter's tape on the back and stick the finished cardboard piece on the wall and see if you like the look. It's better to do a test painting on carboard, instead of wasting money by buying enough to do the whole room then finding out you don't like the look of it. I can raise my hand to doing that mistake before.
I honestly dont think sponging would make your kitchen better. I really think it would make it ugly also that technique is from the 1990s so its really outdated. But I will suggest maybe going with striping by using painters tape. You could also go with maybe a two tone. I think striping will give the illusion of taller walls and depth. I think if you keep it simple it will look the best.
  • Mini Scooter
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment