Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can sponge painting be done fast?

I would like to repaint our bedroom a two-toned sponge textured look. I would like to sponge paint, but when I saw it done on tv, it looked like it took so long. I would like to know what the steps are and how long would it take?Can sponge painting be done fast?
First prime with an interior latex primer. Zinsser 1-2-3 works very well. Put your coats of base paint on (2 coats). That should be 8 hours or so. 1 hr to paint, 3 to dry completely, maybe less...depends on humidity and such. Then put your sponge color in a tray, add a little water. Dip the sponge, squeeze it and go at it. Make sure you dab or roll the sponge, don't wipe. The time spent depends on how much you want to cover. Thicker texture will take twice as long as sparse coverage. You just have to go by eye. But 2 days for the whole project should be enough. Good luck! Hope I helped...any other questions or elaborations, just e-mail me.Can sponge painting be done fast?
You can buy a sponge rollar at a paint or big box building supply store and roll the walls. You might even find one that will allow you to have two colors on the rollar at once. That'll be faster, but the effect will be different than if you do it one dab at a time.
I sponged the kitchen I used one base color for the whole wall, then a darker with sponge then a lighter on top. The longest is waiting to dry. Easy to do I used the color cards at the paint shop to help determine what I wanted. Everyone thinks I wall papered.


Good Luck
I didn't sponge paint, instead I used the ragging technique in our bathroom. It's the master bath and pretty big, it took a little bit of time but I loved doing it. First I had to paint the base color, once that is completely dry you're ready to do the rest. I did mine in the evenings after work each night, took me about 4 evenings altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment