Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm painting over a previously sponge painted room. How do I prevent heavy sponge marks from showing through?

The current sponge color is a blue-ish gray and I'm covering it with apple red. I've tried sanding. If I prime, can I just use a light color paint rather than true primer?I'm painting over a previously sponge painted room. How do I prevent heavy sponge marks from showing through?
If you're going to take the time to do it then you might as well do it right the first time. First use a light gray primer not paint to cover the old color. The primer is made to cover old paint with a even color coat. Using a light color paint would probably not work as some times the old paint color can bleed through the new paint and you would have to spend more money to get more paint to cover and color evenly.





You ever hear the old cliche ';there's never time to do it right but always time to do it over?'; Well having to do it over can be more time consuming and costly then doing it right the first time.....I'm painting over a previously sponge painted room. How do I prevent heavy sponge marks from showing through?
It's hard to tell if a previous coat is going to show through or not. Fortunately for you, the sponge painting includes the whole wall, or room and if it telegraphs through, it won't be noticeable. Or if it does, it will look like normal texture. The sanding ideas are good, although real hard to do. A lot of work. The priming ideas are good also, might eliminate or minimize the problem. Sometimes, heavy bodied exterior paints make a good interior primer. I'm talking about old paint that you don't have to buy.





I think this story is funny. My friend's girlfriends parents were going out of town. They gave her the job of painting the living room while they were away. She of course enlisted the help of my friend Steve. Steve, as a joke paints F_CK YOU on the living room wall with a nine inch roller at the start of the project. With the same color of paint her parents choose. He intended to paint over it as soon as the laughter died down. No matter how many time he painted over it, the print still came trough. He had to paint the wall over 6 times to get it to cover over. So it doesn't take much of a pattern to show through.
IF you want to do it right, you use primer. If you don't care, you use a lighter color paint. However, the lighter color paint might not give you the same coverage as the primer. This means that you'll end up doing multiple coats. Additionally, the old paint might ';leach'; through to the new paint and you still haven't covered up the sponge marks.





I would use the primer.
I was going to suggest sanding a bit first. But, I noticed that you tried that.





I would definately use a dark colored primer. The primer will cover all the previous paint and make the new paint stick better, look smoother and look richer. Also, it will reduce the number of coats you have to apply. One or two coats with the right primer is all you should need.
prime it first. If you're willing to use a light colored paint, what's the big deal with just going to primer and doing it right?





Otherwise you're going to be ther for ever with paint stripper or a belt sander.
Use a primer that is tinted a couple of shades lighter than the red you'll be using. Most paint stores will tint the primer for you.
I think a light color should cover the marks up, but If you want to be sure that they'll go away, just go with a thick primer.
I suggest using like a pink tint primer, so for when you paint it shouldnt been very noticeable. Also I dont know how many coats you are planning on painting, but I suggest two at least.
make sure its sanded very smooth. and use 2 or more coats if you have to.





check out my video:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzcN-S7_fc
Primer is different than light-colored paint. You might as well just stick to the primer.
no idea
primer wold be better especially if you want to get the true color you paid for
Lightly chizle them off?

No comments:

Post a Comment